Sunday, November 23, 2008

Living for the Lord

As Christians, I’m sure most of us will have heard the phrase “living for the Lord” used in conversation at some time. I recall a time when a woman’s whereabouts was questioned. She was a Christian, and was divorced. Her father explained that she had re-married a divorced man, and moved from Canada to the U.S. The reply, made in a sympathetic tone, was “oh, then she’s not really living for the Lord right now.”

Seems to me that not “living for the Lord” indicates some type of backsliding behaviour. Like no longer attending church, being in a questionable relationship, taking up drinking or gambling. Using my example above, remarrying after divorce would indicate to some that you had stopped living for the Lord.

Now, if you were living for Jesus, you would likely be committed to a church, involved in ministry, having daily devotions, witnessing, and fellowshipping with other Christians. And if you were really living for Him, you may attend Bible College as well, and go into full time ministry.

I have been thinking of this recently, since hitting my current “low” state. I certainly haven’t been doing many of those things that would indicate loyalty to the cause of Christ. My prayer life is sketchy, and there are days when I don’t pick up my Bible at all. God seems as far away as the outermost reaches of the universe. I don’t particularly want to see anyone, or go anywhere, let alone get out there and “witness for Christ.”

My immediate, and usual, reaction to this spiritually distanced existence is to feel guilty. For not being at work. For not doing more around the house. For not making more of an effort to get better. For not praying enough, or reading my Bible more. For not pushing myself out the door every day. For not doing a hundred other things that I “should” be doing.

If someone were to mark me at this moment on an “Are You Living for the Lord?” quiz, I think I would flunk. Badly. Just the thought of this could pull me down even further into negative thinking, and self condemnation. But I won’t do it. I might gang up on myself for not trying harder. I might resolve, once more, that tomorrow will be a better day. But I will not let myself slide into a state where I start to think that God is disappointed with me. I won’t start comparing myself with others who are, by His grace, up and running and “out there” for Jesus. I know that would be wrong. I know it would be based on a wrong belief.

You see, even though I am a slow learner, I find that I can still learn. And I am learning about grace. I am learning about this life that I now live, and this Life that now lives in me. It’s not so much about me living my life for Him, as Him living His life in and through me. And though I’m not one hundred percent sure of all that means, I am confident that His Life carries on in me, even when I feel as though I am barely living. That’s the marvelous thing about this exchange. It doesn’t depend on how well I do at any given moment. It depends on Him, Jesus Christ. His faithfulness, His purposes, His power. I can’t see the purpose, I don’t feel the power, but I do know about His faithfulness. Oh yes, I know about His faithfulness.

If you are in a "slump" of any kind, don't stay too long in the land of "should." Don't get stuck in the rotten rut of regret and self condemnation. Look up to Jesus. Look at Who He is, and what He has done, and what He has yet to do; in you, through you, and for you. You might not "feel" the truth of these things, but thankfully, His faithfulness doesn't depend on our feelings.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." (Gal 2:20)

11 comments:

Leonard said...

"It’s not so much about me living my life for Him, as Him living His life in and through me."

Treasure, Thanks Mac.

Joel Brueseke said...

Never let anyone 'should' on you, even yourself. :)

There was a time when I jumped into the sea of grace that I stopped all the "doing" of the Christian life. I did it purposely. It's even as if it was necessary for me to stop all the activity. I needed time - and I had no clue how long it would take - to shed all the religious junk that I'd been steeped in and to simply come to an understanding of who I am, apart from what I "do."

I think slow learning and slow growing is a good thing. I've written various blogs called "What's the rush?" and "Slow growth" and stuff like that, because it's been my observation that the only way to grow in grace is to not rush it. We can't let anyone pressure us into Christian activity. I believe it must come from the outward flow of the life and growth we're experiencing in our hearts... and that can take time!

You're right... it's all about Christ-in-me, not me-for-Christ. The scripture you shared from Galatians is one of my favs.

Maureen said...

Leonard, nice to see you.

You're welcome. Always.

mac

Maureen said...

Joel thanks for the insightful comments.

Over the years, I have occaisionally, on purpose, thought I would cease and desist from all the "shoulds" I had been heaping on myself around "Christian" activities. Of course, I didn't last very long. I think I was testing myself, to see if I really believed it was all by grace. Or testing God. But these things are deeply ingrained.

You are right, it does take time. I still get the "guilts" when I miss a day of reading my Bible. But then when I do pick it up again, it is because I have missed it, and really want to read it and soak it all up.

We truly have created a 'culture' around being Christian that is not according to Scripture. I'm so glad to be coming out of the "doing" mentality.

Grace to you.

a said...

Maureen,

Living for the Lord? God created us so the He could have fellowship with us and so the we would worship Him. THATS IT! Thats our purpose, and thats what I believe "Living for the Lord" means.

Everything else is just a buy product.

You are living for the Lord!

Bino M. said...

Maureen,
Instead of saying "I am living for God", I prefer to say, "God is living for me". It goes with what Apostle said - "it's not I who live but Christ lives in me". Jesus is doing the living. What can I add to it? Nothing! I have nothing good in my flesh to add to what God is doing.

My prayer life is sketchy, and there are days when I don’t pick up my Bible at all.

To me, there are weeks I don't pick up my Bible at all. I am not saying it's a good thing but at the same time I don't want to read Bible ritualistically. What is the point? Same thing with prayer, there are so many days I don't pray at all and then there are days I pray a lot. I personally think, it's better NOT to pray if you don't feel like praying. Again, what is the point?

I echo what Joel said - Never let anyone 'should' on you, even yourself. All our 'shoulds' are like filthy rags to God anyways...

Stand on Christ's righteousness, sister! You already have it!

Love and Grace,
Bino.

Maureen said...

Lennart, your comments reminded me of a quote from John Piper:

"God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."

Satisfied in HIM! Not satisfied in what we have (supposedly) done for Him, but in Who HE is, and what HE has done for us. That's when He gets the most glory.

Here is a quote from a "Chatechism" (Wesminster? Not sure).

Q: What is the chief end of man?
A: The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

Here is a "quote" from me:

"God's best for me is whatever brings the most glory to Him."

Isn't it amazing that this God, who is worthy of all worship, and created us for His glory, also seeks fellowship with us? I guess I haven't wrapped my head around this. I get glimpses of it, but am still struggling with the performance aspect.

Thank you for the reminders and encouragement.

Maureen said...

Thank you Bino for your kind words. I do find that "formal" type of prayer so difficult, but my "communication" with God is still happening. If only in those little "help me Lord" prayers. Your are right. If I make up my mind to pray with the same motive that I make up my mind to finally clean out a long neglected closet, that would be terribly wrong. Our prayers should be from who we really are, not from who we think we should be. I know He accepts me as I am, in Christ. That is the anchor.

Thank you, brother, for your kind words of encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Maureen,

Wow, you have got to save this! It is either a good entry for a devotional book or a mini-sermon! You never know when you might get called upon to share your testimony. You have a way with words and your heart comes through each sentence. I loved this post! It has encouraged me!

Wendy

Anonymous said...

I have read and re-read this post. I could be wrong, (and usually I am), but I do not see this as having anything to do with anything spiritual.
We are very complex "human" beings. Some of us, (not all), have a somewhat "constant" emotional "cycle". We have our periods of times where "everything" just seems to be a mountain top experience. I used to think this was a good thing....wrong! That mountain top experience was usually met with an "equally" low valley experience. Hmmm.. whats going on? Seems we need some "emotional" balance!!

Dr. Hippie see's a "person" who deeply loves her Lord! She loves Him when she is on the mountain and she loves Him in the valley! She might not like "herself" in the valley......but there is no doubt in my mind that "she" loves her Lord in "both" places!!!

Of course, you can "seek" a second opinion?

Maureen said...

Dr. Hippie, I do see what you mean. True spirituality is an inward thing. It's just that we are under the wrong impression that it will translate into certain outward activities. Though that does have some truth, because faith without works is dead. And yet we cannot measure our faith strictly by those things we set apart as "spiritual" activities.

In hindsight, I can see that perhaps my main "dilemma" is that I worry about how I will appear to other people; that THEY will judge me to be somehow backslidden or lacking in zeal for Jesus. When I think of it that way, there is nothing to be concerned about.