Friday, January 9, 2009

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

I have a dear friend whose mother has in the past few months come out of a major depression of several years. Interestingly, her symptoms all began immediately after emergency surgery on her bowel. She is a dear lady, and it was heartbreaking for her family and friends to see her joy and vitality slip away. Thankfully, she has “come back to life”. Many were praying for her during this time. My friend and I prayed continually that God would direct the doctors and therapists to find the proper treatment for her. We most of all beseeched Him to restore to her the joy of her salvation in Christ. I praise Him for how He has answered those prayers, and for how He has most likely used that whole situation in ways that we will not realize until we are in heaven.

Depression is not always a straight forward illness. I learned, after this dear lady became ill, that it can sometimes occur after a physically traumatic event, such as the emergency surgery she had to have. Its symptoms can show up as part of a variety of conditions. Here are a few that I found on the ‘net:

Physical diseases leading to depressive symptoms:
Chronic illness - Various types of chronic illness can lead to general body slowdown, heart or lung problems, and overall down feelings.
Post-viral syndrome
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Fibromyalgia - The general down feelings combined with muscle and joint aches are similar to depression in some cases.
Diabetes
Heart disease
Heart failure
Respiratory insufficiency
Parkinson's disease - A drooping face and lack of smile from PD makes people look depressed leading to a misdiagnosis of depression.
Brucellosis - the acute phase may be misdiagnosed as depression.
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) - PMDD was misdiagnosed as depression in the past but is better known now.
Thyroid disorders
Hashimoto's thyroiditis - a form of hypothyroidism.
Post-polio syndrome
Hypersensitivity pneumonitis - Also called "farmer's lung"; a chronic lung condition that is sometimes similar to depression.
Hyperparathyroidism
Adrenal disorders
Adrenal Insufficiency
Hypoadrenocorticism
Addison's disease
Celiac disease
Pancreatic cancer
Early Menopause (see Menopause) - misdiagnosed as depression in younger women when menopause is not expected.
Alcoholism - For example, late-onset alcoholism is a cause of depressive symptoms that is often overlooked in seniors and the elderly.


I am not a person to first go to medication for physical ailments. I believe in a more holistic approach, and will first investigate diet, nutritional supplements, and lifestyle changes as ways to treat whatever is going “awry” in my body before I run to a doctor for a prescription. Many times in the past I have seen a Doctor of Naturopathy, and I visit a Chiropractor for regular adjustments. When I found myself in depression again this fall, I bought a lamp that provides light to make up for the lack of sunlight during the winter months. I do not get a ‘flu shot, and I would not be a supporter of the widespread use of many of the new vaccinations that are popping up nowadays. You can have too much of a good thing; I believe that we are an over-immunized and prescriptioned society, and do ourselves more harm than good with the overuse of some of these preventative measures and cures.

It seems that there may be a trend in Health Care, at least here in Canada, towards an approach that integrates different models of therapy and treatment. My doctor is part of a “Family Health Team”, which includes a Social Worker, Nurse Practitioner, and Nutritionist. I am thankful for these other “Health Care Practitioners”, as they can often give information, and “prescribe” treatments that do not include the use of pharmaceuticals, where in the case of many doctors, their first impulse seems to be to reach for the prescription pad.

That’s not to say, however, that they don’t have their place in health care. I’m sure we can all think of times when we were grateful to have a good doctor to diagnose and treat ourselves or someone close to us. Doctors save lives, and help others to know a better quality of life than they would have had without proper medical care. Thank God for the many advances that have been made in medicine. Thank God that we don't use "blood letting" as a treatment for just about anything from a headache to pneumonia anymore. Thank God that surgeons started to sterilize their instruments, instead of simply wiping them off on their bloodied aprons before they started surgery on their next patient. We've come a long way, and no doubt we will go further in finding better treatment options as knowledge increases, and as God wills.

Today I talked to a pharmacist, at the suggestion of my Nurse Practitioner, about having a saliva test done to determine whether or not my depression symptoms were hormone-related. I am at that hormonally challenged time of life, and so it made sense to me to check out this type of test.

The pharmacist was a lovely young lady, very friendly and knowledgeable. She explained how the whole thing works. As I read the list of “symptoms” that a need for hormone therapy would indicate, I wasn’t surprised that most of them could be found on the many lists of “symptoms of depression” that I have read. We had a great discussion about thyroid function, adrenal function, and how progesterone and cortisol levels can affect both of these. It was very enlightening, and I am going to have the test done.

As I continue to investigate and learn more about what is going on in my body, mind and emotions, I am more and more impressed with what incredibly complex, and frighteningly fragile, systems we house in these mortal tents. I am amazed at the mind, body, spirit functions that are taking place every moment of our lives. Our hearts continue to beat, our lungs expand and contract, our brains are always active, either consciously or subconsciously, all of our organs carry on their duties, our digestive, cardiovascular, and lymphatic systems are always at work. It is amazing to think of the synchronizations and intricacies that are built into these systems, allowing us to function every day, barely giving a thought to what is going on inside us.

When we are “sick”, in any way, we do look to medicine, doctors, dentists, chiropractors, home remedies, etc. We want to be well. Our health is a great gift. It is more precious than all the wealth we could ever want. I am grateful for all the resources and helps that God has provided us, enabling us to take responsibility for our own health, and to seek out those more skilled and knowledgeable than ourselves when the need arises. We have a gracious God and Father. He is the One Who ultimately does the healing. Just as He ultimately gives life at conception, and takes life away at death. It is all in His hands.

"For you formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb.
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"A Heartache"

Dear Brother,

The last time we talked, you asked whether I thought those who end their lives could go to heaven. Since we didn't get a chance to finish that conversation, I hope you don't mind if I use this letter to say some things that I wish I'd been able to say at the time.

I responded to your question by saying something like, "Yes, those who take their own lives can go to heaven. Our last choice in this life does not determine where we go after death." But then I hesitated, and asked why you were wondering. When you looked away and said, "Not now," I heard the emotion in your voice and sensed that you needed some space.

A mutual friend has since told me about your heartache. I've learned about the loss of your son-and your uncertainty about where he was in his spiritual journey.

Your inability to talk about your loss is something I haven't been able to forget. As I've replayed the moment, I've realized that you weren't the only one who wasn't ready to talk. Now I'm glad that I didn't say something I thought would make you feel better . That would have been a mistake. I'm quite sure you were not looking for false assurance any more than you were looking for someone to tell you how you should be feeling.

Brother, I'm not writing to tell you more than I know. You know as well as I do that God alone understands the state of mind of those who end their own lives. He alone understands their pain and their confusion. He alone knows how to give comfort and courage to those who remain.

So why am I writing? I'm writing because I don't want you to be surprized if you find yourself wanting to avoid religious people, the church, the Bible, or even God Himself. Emotional pain can put distance between ourselves and others. And there is no way to sort through our feelings quickly-especially in the middle of a heartbreaking loss.

God doesn't want us to ignore our grief. What is happening to you right now is not something you can afford to deny. Even though David of the Bible was a man after God's own heart, he spent long days and nights with his losses, his fears, his regrets-and his anger.

I also believe that if it were possible for you to meet face to face with the most compassionate Person who ever lived, you would not hear religious answers that told you how to feel. He wouldn't condemn you for the waves of anger you feel toward heaven, yourself, or even your son, for leaving you in such agony. My guess is that He would put His arm around your shoulder and cry with you.

I admit that I don't know what this merciful and honest Person would say to you. He was always so unpredictable. Not in a bad way, but with wisdom and understanding. He had a way of saying what His friends and enemies didn't expect Him to say. He knew more about pain and evil than anyone else around Him-yet He didn't teach His followers to wave their fists against heaven and to curse darkness.

Brother, I believe we can learn a lot by thinking about the cursing He didn't do, the battles against heaven He didn't fight, and the despair He overcame. Even though He loved so deeply, He didn't go mad out of His concern for others.

No, we can't live with the same spiritual awareness that He had. Neither can we expect each other to trust heaven as implicitly as He did. What we can do, though, is remind one another that even Jesus cried out at the lowest point in His life, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"

When the Son of God left heaven to become the Son of Man, He voluntarily laid aside the boundless understanding that He shared with His Father. And when, in the dark corridors of human experience, He walked into a house of mourning, He cried. As He approached moments of seperation from those He loved the most, He sweated and struggled in great agony before saying, "Nevertheless not My will, but Yours be done." In all these ways He showed that trusting the unseen hand of God is not just an event but a learned process.

It is when our broken hearts drive us to the place where we wonder if we can continue that we have every reason to cling to the One who loves better than we do. He is the One who says, "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Brother, please forgive me if I have in any way added to your pain. I want so much for you to find the strength and comfort that can only be explained by God's love for you.

Your brother in Christ...

Anonymous said...

Wow Maureen! You have been doing a lot of research... if the saying 'knowledge is power' has any truth to it then you are becoming more powerful with each passing day. Keep up the good work and rest when necessary. I am rooting for you!

Anonymous said...

The book of Job is not answering a theoretical question about why good people suffer. It is answering a practical question: When good people suffer, what does God want from them? The answer is, he wants our trust.

The book is driven by tensions. One, Job really was a good man (1:1, 8). He didn't deserve what he got. Two, neither Job nor his friends ever saw the conflict going on between God and Satan, but his friends made the mistake of thinking they were competent to judge. Three, his friends interpreted his sufferings in moralistic, accusing terms (4:7-8). Thus they intensified his sufferings. Four, Job refused to give in either to his own despair or to their insinuations. He looked to God, and God showed up (38:1-42:17).

Two observations. One, even personal suffering has a social dimension, as others look on. Suffering brings temptation both to the sufferer and to the observer. The sufferer is tempted to give up on God. The observer is tempted to point his finger at the sufferer with smug, self-serving explanations: "This is all your own fault, of course. If you'll own up, everything will start getting better." The fallacy here is to assume that we live in a universe ruled by the simple laws of crime and punishment. Our minds dredge up these thoughts because we are so uneasy about ourselves and therefore threatened by the suffering of another: "If it's happening to Job, it might catch up to me too." So we cling to the illusory feeling of control by reinforcing our own self-image of moral superiority. The book of Job teaches a better, humbler way. When we observe someone else suffering, we too should trust God and sympathize with the sufferer rather than off-load our own guilty fears by dumping on the sufferer.

Two, when we ourselves suffer in ways we cannot explain, God wants us to trust him more than we ever have before. Job eventually settles into a deeper place where, without answers to his questions, he trusts in the omni-competence of God: "I know that you can do all things" (42:2). What God can do is more important than how God explains himself. What if he did tell us every mystery right now? Would we be satisfied? I doubt it. It would only pander to our pride. Far better to leave it all with God, as our faith deepens from questioning to admiring. We don't live by explanations; we live by faith.

"I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able." 2 Timothy 1:12

Mimi said...

A brother in the Lord gave me a link to your blog, I have not read all posts yet am a busy mum of three, but I hope to make time and read soon,
Blessings :-)